Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday morning status report

It's Sunday morning and our plan is to leave Athens Tuesday, latest Wednesday. I am chasing an early morning cockroach and am determined to stop it from landing in one of packing boxes or a suitcase. But then again, I remember we had to deal with lizards and ant colonies in our house in India. I almost feel nostalgic that this may be my last cockroach encounter. I won't miss them much, but they do make great story subjects.

Back to packing - I am not feeling that strong. Too many wishes in my head, but only ten suitcases. Surprisingly all three kids' clothes fit into one suitcase, but I need two just for myself! Right now we're just packing stuff up, putting boxes to be stored in Michigan to one side, and things to take to India to another. Couple odd items we're planning to take to India are:
* breadmaker - no ovens, no healthy bread in India...
* boys' geotrax train set - 35lbs, but they love their trains

Farewell Athens picnic in Memorial park is later today. I am sure it will be a bittersweet experience, just like it's been the last month. One last time hanging out with Athens friends, feeding the geese, pushing kids on the swings... I believe it will give us some closure as well. I remember ten years ago when Eial just started his PhD program we received our first invitation to a picnic in Memorial park. Obviously, we had no idea where it was. We had a large map of Athens spread out on our lap, we were driving, reading names of side streets out-loud,  looking for a well-hidden entrance... For the last time we really look forward to seeing everyone in our last Memorial park picnic.

Packing marathon is still on...

 This table became a giant "junk drawer"


 Kids are enjoying an open space. Maya's origami work station is right in the middle of the floor


Kids watching their Sunday morning movie

No comments:

Post a Comment